From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ebuild update for Xorg-x11
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 23:05:04
1 Brian C. Parkhurst wrote:[Tue Oct 26 2004, 06:36:52PM EDT]
2 > The -fPIC -DPIC definitely made a difference. I've been running Gentoo
3 > since January on this particular alpha but have yet (Xfree or Xorg) to
4 > get X to run locally. Always server core exit on run.
5
6 I'm running xorg-x11-6.8 on XP1000 with no problems without needing to
7 explicitly specify -fPIC
8
9 > I was also getting lots of:
10 >
11 > Elf_RelocateEntry() Unsupported relocation type 10
12 >
13 > Which googling pointed to PIC problems with the compilation.
14
15 Oh, really? I wasn't aware of that. Could you point to the pages?
16
17 > Xorg -configure always worked okay. Last problem I was having was xfs
18 > giving a floating point exception on startup.
19
20 This isn't related to -fPIC. I include -mieee in CFLAGS on alpha
21 which would probably fix that problem for you. (I'd like it if
22 everybody would include -mieee in CFLAGS on alpha... there's almost no
23 code out there that's written to work with the non-ieee behavior, so
24 it's just asking for trouble to build without it)
25
26 > The build took 12 hours and I am still getting the ELF errors but it
27 > looks as the X continues to run and doesn't server exit.
28 > (I'm not actually at the console at the moment to see the X though).
29 > BTW, this alpha server 800 with an add-on ATI RagePro3D+TV (Mach 64
30 > derivative)
31 > I disabled the onboard S3 VGA as it wasn't supported except as a VGA.
32
33 Good to hear it's working... I don't have an ATI adapter on alpha to
34 test at the moment. My daily workstation has an Elsa GLoria.
35
36 Regards,
37 Aron
40 Aron Griffis