From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] Network cards
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:04:07
sseekamp@×××.net wrote:	[Thu Sep 18 2003, 11:00:27AM EDT]
> It came down to plain old bad hardware - I tested out a few other > cards in the alpha and they all showed up in SRM as Ethernet cards. I > returned the D-Link that was not working and got another one - now I > am up and working! > > I still would like to have the DEC cards working in case I want to > experiment with net booting. The errors I get are ierrs in Freebsd and > receive errors in linux (sometimes other strange errors as well). I am > guessing it is just old hardware unless you have a suggestion.
It's possible you're getting a configuration conflict between the network adapters and the switch/hub. If one is in full-duplex mode and the other is in half-duplex, you'd get very poor traffic flow and lots of errors reported on the device. You might try using mii-tool and/or mii-diag to investigate further. Depending on the revision of the adapters (are they DE4xx or DE5xx?) they may also have broken auto-negotiation, in which case you'll want to manually set 10baseT. Aron -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list