From: Thomas Cort <linuxgeek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] optimization flags
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:18:00
I use the flags from the Safe_Cflags article on the wiki (
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflag ). So far they haven't caused me any
headaches.

CHOST="alpha-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"

> What level of optimizations flags are recommended?
On all of the Gentoo systems I've set up I've used -O2. I use it over -O3 for a number of reasons. One, I cannot tell the difference in terms of speed between something that is compiled with -O2 vs. -O3. Two, emerge times are longer if you use -O3. Three, sometimes using too many optimizations screws things up. (see http://bugs.gentoo.org/74072 ). -Thomas -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list