From: Marnix Arnold <mxa@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] AlphaStation 200 (Mustang) won't boot 2004.3 liveCD
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:49:46
1 Hi Gabriel,
2
3 > On Monday 06 December 2004 09:01 pm, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
4 > UPDATE: Got 1.4rc1-test4 and booted it. Works fine.
5
6 Well, that's good news! If you can get your network up and running with
7 the 1.4rc1-test4 (or any other liveCD, for that matter), you can pull the
8 stage tarball of your choice from the net, as per the Gentoo handbook:
9 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-alpha.xml?part=1&chap=5#doc_chap2
10 . This will probably work just fine with the 2004.3 stages; I don't think
11 you are restricted to the 1.4rc1 stages just because you use the 1.4rc1
12 liveCD.
13
14 > From the sounds, it appears that the 2004.3 really *was* booting.
15 > However, it failed to re-initialize the video or something.
16
17 When (not if! ;-) you build your own kernel, you may want to be careful
18 around video options initially since your problems appear indeed to have
19 to do with video initialization. For instance, try disabling support for
20 the framebuffer console at first; just get a minimal kernel to boot on
21 your machine and add nice features incrementally. I'd start from the
22 alpha-sources (alpha-sources ebuild, which is the 2.4.21 kernel with loads
23 of alpha-specific patches).
24
25 Good luck!
26