From: Jeff Donsbach <jeff_donsbach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] what kernel are folks running?
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:49:40
1 I'm just curious what kernel ebuild folks are using on
2 Alpha. What are some of the reasons to use one over
3 another? I've been using vanilla-sources (currently
4 2.4.25) but I'm not doing anything serious or mission
5 critical; just basically something to play with. Are
6 there any advantages to using gentoo-sources or
7 alpha-sources?
8
9 I've also been contemplating trying out a 2.6 kernel.
10 If I do that, would I be forced to upgrade anything
11 else (like glibc for instance) and if so, would that
12 preclude being able to switch back and forth?
13
14 Sorry if these seem like "n00b" questions. I've never
15 gotten a handle on what makes things binary
16 incompatible in Linux (in general, not necessarily
17 Alpha specifically). Are such things spelled out
18 anywhere?
19
20 Jeff D
27 Do you Yahoo!?
28 Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!
29 http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
32 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list