From: nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alphaserver 1000 4/266M
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 02:17:40
1 Thomas Cort wrote:
2 > Welcome Nick,
3 >
4 >> Anyone who has one of these machines, or knows anything about them,
5 >> please let me know the goings on.
6 >
7 > I have an AlphaServer 1000 4/233. I think it is pretty similar to what
8 > you've got. A few things I ran into during the install....
9 >
10 > The CD-ROM drive wouldn't boot the live CD. I'm not sure if you'll run
11 > into the same problem since the drive was really old and could have
12 > just been broken. I replaced it with a used SCSI CD-ROM for $10 from
13 > the local computer store and it booted just fine.
14 >
15 > If it doesn't power on at all, make sure the top panel of the case is
16 > on and properly in place. The middle of the top panel of the case has a
17 > small piece of metal oriented downwards. When the top panel is put back
18 > in place properly, the small piece of metal will press down on a
19 > switch. When the switch isn't pressed down, the system will refuse to
20 > power on.
21 >
22 >> Anyone who wants to tell a first time Alpha user some advice, I'm
23 >> listening. :)
24 >
25 > A few things to remember when partitioning.... "the first cylinder
26 > cannot be used as the [bootloader] image will be placed there," so you
27 > should start your partitions after the first cylinder. This is in the
28 > documentation, but is easy to miss. Also, the bootloader (aboot) can
29 > only boot kernels from ext2 and ext3 partitions. If you want to use
30 > another filesystem for the root filesystem, you'll need to create a
31 > separate /boot partition.
32 >
33 > You CFLAGS should look like this "-mcpu=ev4 -pipe -O2 -mieee"
34 > I might be wrong about the mcpu value (it could be ev45), check the
35 > "cpu model" line in /proc/cpuinfo to see which is correct. The -mieee
36 > enables full IEEE floating point support.
37 >
38 > Documentation is available here:
39 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/doc/index.xml
40 >
41 > You can ask for help on this mailing list, in #gentoo-alpha on
42 > irc.freenode.net, and on the forums in the "Alternative Architecture"
43 > forum. Bugs can be reported on http://bugs.gentoo.org
44 >
45 > I hope that helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
46 >
47 > -Thomas
48 >
49 > PS: if you want to impress your friends, you can change the text
50 > displayed on the LCD by typing "SET OCP_TEXT MyText" (without quotes)
51 > into the SRM console and rebooting. A picture of this is on my blog
52 > http://mediumbagel.org/nucleus/index.php?itemid=9&catid=4
53 Thomas,
54 Thanks a lot. Really. That was a very, very informative reply.
55 Once I get into the install and have more questions, I'll certainly ask.
56 Thanks!
57
58 Nick
59