From: jksands@×××××××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alphaserver 1000 4/266M
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:10:19
1 nick thompson <nicholas.thompson1@×××××.com> wrote on 04/01/2007 05:03:40
2 PM:
3 > Thomas Cort wrote:
4 > > Welcome Nick,
7 > >> Anyone who has one of these machines, or knows anything about them,
8 > >> please let me know the goings on.
9 > >>
10 > >
11 > > I have an AlphaServer 1000 4/233. I think it is pretty similar to what
12 > > you've got. A few things I ran into during the install....
13 > >
14 > > The CD-ROM drive wouldn't boot the live CD. I'm not sure if you'll run
15 > > into the same problem since the drive was really old and could have
16 > > just been broken. I replaced it with a used SCSI CD-ROM for $10 from
17 > > the local computer store and it booted just fine.
18 > >
19 > > If it doesn't power on at all, make sure the top panel of the case is
20 > > on and properly in place. The middle of the top panel of the case has
21 a
22 > > small piece of metal oriented downwards. When the top panel is put
23 back
24 > > in place properly, the small piece of metal will press down on a
25 > > switch. When the switch isn't pressed down, the system will refuse to
26 > > power on.
29 > >> Anyone who wants to tell a first time Alpha user some advice, I'm
30 > >> listening. :)
31 > >>
32 > >
33 > > A few things to remember when partitioning.... "the first cylinder
34 > > cannot be used as the [bootloader] image will be placed there," so you
35 > > should start your partitions after the first cylinder. This is in the
36 > > documentation, but is easy to miss. Also, the bootloader (aboot) can
37 > > only boot kernels from ext2 and ext3 partitions. If you want to use
38 > > another filesystem for the root filesystem, you'll need to create a
39 > > separate /boot partition.
40 > >
41 > > You CFLAGS should look like this "-mcpu=ev4 -pipe -O2 -mieee"
42 > > I might be wrong about the mcpu value (it could be ev45), check the
43 > > "cpu model" line in /proc/cpuinfo to see which is correct. The -mieee
44 > > enables full IEEE floating point support.
45 > >
46 > > Documentation is available here:
47 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/alpha/doc/index.xml
48 > >
49 > > You can ask for help on this mailing list, in #gentoo-alpha on
50 > > irc.freenode.net, and on the forums in the "Alternative Architecture"
51 > > forum. Bugs can be reported on http://bugs.gentoo.org
52 > >
53 > > I hope that helped. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
54 > >
55 > > -Thomas
56 > >
57 > > PS: if you want to impress your friends, you can change the text
58 > > displayed on the LCD by typing "SET OCP_TEXT MyText" (without quotes)
59 > > into the SRM console and rebooting. A picture of this is on my blog
60 > > http://mediumbagel.org/nucleus/index.php?itemid=9&catid=4
61 > >
62 > Anyone else have experience with a machine of this type? I am finally
63 > able to work on it now that I have reclaimed some room in my unix
64 > dungeon. :) Any info at all appreciated.
65 >
66 > Nick
67 >
68 > "All unix, all the time."
69 >
70 > http://npt.ath.cx
71 > --
72 > gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list
75 I have an AS1000 4/233 that I subsequently upgraded to a 5/333. Getting
76 Gentoo (and Windows NT) up and running was fairly painless. I too had a
77 problem with the CD-ROM drive. Finding a newer SCSI drive solved that
78 problem. The handbook was spot on about the disk partitioning and was
79 overall a big help. I stuck in a PCI Matrox card for video support and
80 even found enough parity RAM to have 512 MB. After some fiddling I had
81 Gnome running and was browsing with Firefox. With the 6 SCSI disks my
82 machine came with, it truly was a noisy beast of a system (and heavy!).
83 Unfortunately, the 5/333 CPU card died over a year ago; without another
84 ev5 card, I can't 'downgrade' the firmware back to support the 4/233 card
85 and reclaim my system :(
86
87 -Jeremy
90 gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list