From: Davide Cittaro <daweonline@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Some questions about DS25
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:18:22
1 Hi all, I'm trying to install Gentoo on a DS25 machine and it seems
2 to be really hard... Anyway, I've just a couple of question:
3 1- I'm reading the DS25 owner manual where is written about the
4 os_type to be set. This is the first time I have an alpha to manage,
5 so I wonder how much is important writing
6
7 >>> set os_type Linux
8 >>> init
9
10 as written in the manual. I mean, what does that env variable
11 *changes*. I ask this beacuse it seems that google is full of
12
13 >>> set os_type Unix
14
15 and Linux isn't mentioned.
16
17 2- I remember of a CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS variable into
18 the kernel config file, I remeber I read something about its setting
19 to be able to boot a linux kernel on a DS25. Unfortunately I cannot
20 find that information anymore. Can anybody help me? Should
21 CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS be set to y or n? And why?
22
23 Thanks in advance
24
25 Davide