From: Davide Cittaro <daweonline@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] gentoo on a DS25
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:16:07
I would like to keep you updated on what's going here, while I'm
installing gentoo on a DS25...
Booting from CD-ROM does not work at all. A colleague installed a
redhat 7.2 on it and I could boot it, then installing gentoo on
another HD, chrooting in it and all the common stuff in the procedure.
Since I have no network connectivity I downloaded all the files
needed on a CD-RW. It should be added that, once the installation is
complete, I could not run 'emerge' because an error in python (not
able to load libgcc_s.so.1). I had to download python2.3, compile it
into the redhat system and copy into the chrooted gentoo environment.
I was quite confident that gentoo would boot, but from the SRM
environment the DS25 freezes while trying to load the gentoo kernel...
Now I'm trying to move the redhat kernel into the /boot partition of
gentoo but I'm getting errors like:

or

Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel

Actually I got the second error first, I tried to rebuild a initrd
and then I got the second error...

I have one more doubt: how the /etc/fstab would figure? I mean,
looking at the gentoo handbook I see a *traditional* fstab, like

/dev/sda2    /    ext2    etc.

but the redhat fstab is slightly different, meaning that the first
entry is not the device but something like

LABEL=/    /    ext2    etc.

Any hint on this?

Thanks again

Davide