From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] LiveCD refuses to boot on Takara
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 14:08:21
In my neverending quest to set up at least one running system with
Gentoo/Alpha, I've gotten a Takara (DMCC PICMG 21164/500) fixed and running.
The LiveCDs, both 1.4-test1 and 1.4RC1-test4, refuse to boot on it. The
kernel panics, claiming a kernel paging error. I can boot the Debian 3.0r2
install CD on the box, but it doesn't have enough smarts to install Gentoo:
I can get the networking running fine, and (after un-bzipping the stage
tarball elsewhere) have the hard disk initialized and loaded, but I can't
bind-mount /dev (which is required, since no devfs), and chroot complains
"FATAL: kernel too old". The Debian install CD uses a 2.2.20 kernel.

Now what do I do? Am I going to have to do something really kludgey like
build my own LiveCD with whichever option is missing that keeps the current
one from booting on Takara?...or, worse, have to patch it first?