From: "Raúl Porcel" <armin76@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Cc: Romuald Lobet <romuald.lobet@×××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] ABOOT problem: Is the LiveCD the right method to install on Alpha
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:02:42
1 Hi Romuald,
2
3 I just replied you on the forums.
4
5 On 02/26/2011 12:30 PM, Romuald Lobet wrote:
6 > Dear Gentoo/Alpha geeks
7 >
8 > Currently I am willing to bring an API CS20D AlphaServer, fitted with
9 > two EV68AL, back to life. I can access this very compact but very loud
10 > machine through a serial console, and ultimately get a remote display
11 > with VNC on my iMac hopefuly in a very near future.
12 >
13 > One last trick to solve: ABOOT starts the kernel, and the initrd goes up
14 > to the selection of the keymap. Then, it says:
15 > Code:
16 > !! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
17 > Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
18 > boot() ::
19 >
20 > Why do I get there?
21 >
22 > Because of the simplistic hardware configuration, there is no
23 > possibility to connect a display, and it is hard to plug the box over
24 > the internet. Previously, I did start the installation from the usual
25 > minimal iso image, however the process described in the documents, using
26 > standard emerge commands was too lengthy and leave the machine in an
27 > unknown state because the compilation stopps in the middle of nowhere.
28 > So, I choose to start from the LiveCD available for download on the
29 > official website http://distfiles.gentoo.org/experimental/alpha/livecd/.
30 >
31 > Obviously, the way Gentoo works with packages allows us to do so, after
32 > all the simple "emerge --update --deep world" can do the trick to bring
33 > the live system back to the current stand. Since the current stand is
34 > moving quite fast these days, and because the settings of the compiler
35 > suite and compilable source can be a painful process that can leave this
36 > noisy and power hungry server alive for days. I think this can be a good
37 > method to cope to underlying problems of the very fluidic and fast
38 > changing Gentoo distribution.
39 >
40 > Doing so, I could finaly step over the Chapter One of Gentoo Handbook,
41 > and start with real things which are unfortunately only briefly
42 > discribed in the handbooks available on internet. But obviously, there
43 > is something not clear in the documentation, or at least the information
44 > is not well sorted, how Gentoo is Booting on AlphaServers.
45 >
46 > There is no other example of aboot.conf than the one delivered with the
47 > distribution itself, so I took it and simply copied into etc/aboot.conf
48 > of the target system. This brought the Gentoo box to a semi-finished
49 > product: After a short cp /mnt/livecd sda1 I was pretty much ready with
50 > the basic programs. The following aboot.conf summarize all trials
51 >
52 > 0:/boot/gentoo initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz root=/dev/sda1 init=/linuxrc
53 > dokeymap console=ttyS0
54 > 1:/boot/gentoo initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz root=/dev/sda2 init=/linuxrc
55 > dokeymap console=ttyS0
56 > 3:/boot/gentoo initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
57 > dokeymap looptype=squashfs
58 > loop=/image.squashfs
59 > 4:/boot/gentoo initrd=/boot/gentoo.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc
60 > dokeymap looptype=squashfs
61 > loop=/image.squashfs console=ttyS0
62 > (*) of course all files mentionned here were copied into their proper
63 > locations
66 > I had a look in the MAN Pages of aboot.conf, abootconf and aboot, but
67 > the explanation is rather simplistic. I also read the threads regarding
68 > problem configuring the bootloader and Gentoo aboot issues on alpha
69 > ev56, but I don't think we are in these cases. Thinking I just lack one
70 > parameter in my aboot.conf, it would be very interesting if someone
71 > would extend the explanation in the man pages, to include an explanation
72 > about the last parameter "cdroot" and also the meaning of "looptype"
73 > "zisofs". Perhaps I need to flash the kernel is the first sectors of the
74 > harddrive, like it is done with fd0 boot disks, using the brute-force DD
75 > command! What else will I miss, the configuration of EMERGE perhaps ?
76 >
77 > Gentoo Forums :: View Forum - Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
78 > <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-32.html>
79 > Is the LiveCD the right method to installon Alpha: 0: 14:
80 > ali_baba_in_alpha_caves Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm:
81 > ali_baba_in_alpha_caves Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm
82 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-32.html
83 >
84 > Kindest regards,
85 >