From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-alpha@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] grsec patch for 2.4.23 with XFS
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:22:20
Marc Giger wrote:	[Wed Dec 10 2003, 05:40:43PM EST]
> Sorry, why to push out the do_brk fix? It's fixed only since 2.4.23 > or do I missing something??
The stable alpha-sources was 2.4.21-r1. The do_brk fix was added to all existing alpha-sources ebuilds, but that doesn't push the fix out for users when they do "emerge -u world" ... for that one needs to bump the revision. The rule in Gentoo is: - If it's a compile-time problem, don't need to bump the revision (because the user couldn't compile it anyway). - If it's a run-time problem, bump the revision so that users will get the new package when they update.
> Ok, I will see what and when I can do it. I think I will build it on > top of the XFS patches. Is this ok? > And whats about grsec? Should it be included too?
Yeah, I'd say just keep both of them. If alpha users don't want those patches, they can always use vanilla sources or roll their own. alpha-sources is intended to be like gentoo-sources, but for alpha... Thanks! Aron -- Aron Griffis Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / ia64 / ruby / vim) Key fingerprint = E3B6 8734 C2D6 B5E5 AE76 FB3A 26B1 C5E3 2010 4EB0