From: Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] radeonfb question
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:33:30
1 Alpha list,
2
3 This may not be alpha-specific. I don't know. Perhaps Gentoo has an
4 appropriate forum?
5
6 To make my radeon work, I had to build the X driver into the kernel.
7 This forced me to build a radeonfb module. The framebuffer module makes
8 my console 1280x1024 32bit with 160x64 text.
9 I would really, really, really prefer something else on my 17"
10 non-widescreen monitor. I can't figure out a way to do it.
11
12 For X, xrandr can switch to a variety of auto-detected modes. The
13 console framebuffer only gives one choice by default. So, I tried fbset
14 and /etc/fb.modes. Regardless of geometry, the only timings line that
15 works is 0 0 0 0 0 0 0. For example
16
17 mode "800x600"
18 geometry 800 600 800 600 24
19 timings 25000 88 40 23 1 128 4
20 hsync high
21 vsync high
22 endmode
23
24 That gives "ioctl FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument" as a result.
25 The timings listed are from formula and are confirmed by an old example
26 posted at https://github.com/Distrotech/fbset/blob/master/etc/fb.modes.ATI
27 (800x600 60HZ)
28 Changing timings to all zeroes removes the error, but gives me an
29 800x600 piece of a 1280x1024 screen.
30
31 So, I tried passing a parameter to the module. The kernel loads it
32 automatically while booting. I made a radeonfb.conf file in
33 /etc/modeprobe.d, but nothing worked.
34 It seems strange that I can rmmod radeonfb and fb_ddc and the console
35 remains unaffected.
36
37 What am I missing? Is it not possible to change my console resolution?
38 I need help.
39
40 Thanks, DW