From: Brian Parkhurst <brianp@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alpha] Portage problem
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:40:03
Hi all,

I had a system crash this weekend, about 12 hours after getting the 2.6.8
kernel working on my alpha.  (unrelated problem).

I've restored the system to a backup from about 10 days ago but it now seems
my portage database is problematic and the typical emerge commands are
failing.

e.g.:

emerge sync seems to work okay
I've successfully run fixpackages.

emerge -uv world
fails after extracting the package with no errors (but doesn't go and
compile it).

I'm guessing that between the time I did the backup and restored it an
upgrade or other emerge had changed the portage tree.
However I am unable to forcefully rebuild the portage set or the gentoolkit.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian Parkhurst
www.pyrobrian.com