From: Ben de Luca <bedel@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] alpha newbie question
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:42:52
1 On 02/03/2006, at 9:40 PM, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
2
3 > kloeri@g.o wrote:
4 >
5 >> That should work fine using a hardware raid controller. If using
6 >> software raid I'd recommend against using raid on /. Even if you can
7 >> apply some hackish solution to make it boot the bootloader won't
8 >> understand software raid so it can only be a hack. / isn't worth all
9 >> that trouble in my opinion as it can easily be rebuilt if needed.
13 > Surely, all the bootloader needs to know about is /boot?
14 > On my alpha I had no end of trouble trying to use XFS for /,
15 > until I realised that the bootloader only understood ext2.
16 > The solution was to make a separate ext2 partition for /boot,
17 > put the kernels there.
18 >
19 > In this way, the bootloader can find the kernels and load them,
20 > and the kernels know how to mount / as type XFS.
21
22 there is the usual root on raid how toos about. The kernel has to
23 know what the raid set is, I havnt tried this on alpha but seeing you
24 cant read the raidtab in etc its auto detected from the partion and
25 disks. I dont know if the partioning that you need to use in alpha
26 supports it? Maybe you can pass the kernel this info at boot.
27
28 > Now an unrelated question: can I add IDE disks to my 433au
29 > (Miata)? If so, are there certain types that are recommended?
30 > Are there any limitations? (e.g. must I boot off SCSI disks?)
31
32 I have a 433au without a scsi controller so I am sure it can boot off
33 ide. I had problems with 2.4 running IDE disks when I was using a
34 miata specific kernel. Generic worked fine though. Lots of messages
35 about interrupts. I havn't turned my alpha on for a few years so
36 maybe its fixed.
39 > Thanks,
40 > Andrew.
41 > --