From: "Jean-Sébastien Guay" <jean_seb@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-alpha@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alpha] compressed kernel file format?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:02:12
Hi Jeff,

>J-S, can you give me a pointer to the MILO you are >using for your XLT? I've had mine for so long, I don't >know where I got it from anymore. > >
I can send it to you privately if you want. It'll be following this mail. I don't really remember by heart which version I use... So it's easier to send it to you. :-)
>Could it be that the MILO I have was built with some >version of libz incompatible with current kernels >builds? > >
I doubt it... One thing to check : I have found that MILO does some name mangling when there are more than one period in the filename. For example, even though the initrd's filename on the 2005.0 Gentoo LiveCD is gentoo_2.4.igz, I have to type 'initrd=gentoo_2_4.igz' in my boot command. Maybe something similar is happening to you? At the MILO prompt, try doing an 'ls' on your boot partition / directory to see what MILO sees the filenames as. Other than that, I don't have any other ideas... Generally, if you use the filename as seen in an 'ls' from the MILO prompt, the kernel should start to load, and after that it all depends on the build options and other parameters in the boot command. With my MILO image, anyways, I can boot my latest kernels without any problems. Good luck, J-S -- ___________________________________________ Jean-Sébastien Guay jean_seb@×××××××××.ca http://whitestar02.webhop.org/ -- gentoo-alpha@g.o mailing list