From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix][linux] permission problem mergingapr-util on linux
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:52:36
1 On 11-04-2007 15:55:56 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > What if we use "$PORTAGE_INST_UID:$PORTAGE_INST_GID" where currently
3 > "root:0" is used.
4 > On native Gentoo-Linux, these are set to "0:0" in /etc/make.globals.
5 > Note that I did not find PORTAGE_INST_USER here - is this an extension
6 > of prefix-portage ?
7
8 Eh yes.
9
10 But ehm... the problem here is that prefix itself has nothing to do with
11 dropping privileges. We just drop privileges, because there is no
12 reason to have them in a prefix (except for things like ping or
13 traceroute maybe). Hence, prefix has nothing to do with users and
14 permissions here. It is a side-effect which is very much desirable (to
15 me) but actually getting in the way now.
16
17 > For using prefix as 'root', set them to '0:0' too, and when using prefix
18 > as user, set them to '<myuid>:<mygid>'. Portage has some configure-args
19 > to set the defaults into installed make.defaults IIRC.
20 >
21 > Don't know on how to do with "root:man" and the like:
22 >
23 > If being used as 'root', creating users and groups might be possible,
24 > but I'm unsure if it makes sense at all, as the uid's and gid's of
25 > existing users/groups may vary.
26
27 I think this is just manual "userwork" of getting it right. I don't
28 believe common sense or global variables can help here. It's too much
29 of a border case here.
32 Fabian Groffen
33 Gentoo on a different level
36 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list