From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:54:44
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi, It is great to hear that Gentoo Prefix works for you in a corporate setting! Mind if I poll you about how many workstations your distribute your Gentoo Prefix 'image' to?
> We have a prefixed Gentoo disk image here at our office that we > distribute to developers on OS X boxes so they can run full > development environments locally. It has postgresql, memcached, and > other goodies pre-installed with the right USE flags.
<snip>
> Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just > distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal > with system management, but there've been several times when I've > wanted these flexibilities from portage.
So you want to avoid having your devs dealing with system management yet allow them to customize the install? Is that right? I imagine deploying a NFS mounted 'image' may be easier and allow the sys-admins (you) to update the prefix when you want to. However, I do know that grobian has worked on a "stage4" type install that allow you to 'transplant' prefixes much like you are describing. I will let him comment on that. Sorry I am of not much help at the moment. -Jeremy -- gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list