From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:54:44
1 On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3
4 Hi, It is great to hear that Gentoo Prefix works for you in a
5 corporate setting! Mind if I poll you about how many workstations your
6 distribute your Gentoo Prefix 'image' to?
7
8 > We have a prefixed Gentoo disk image here at our office that we
9 > distribute to developers on OS X boxes so they can run full
10 > development environments locally. It has postgresql, memcached, and
11 > other goodies pre-installed with the right USE flags.
12 <snip>
13 > Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just
14 > distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal
15 > with system management, but there've been several times when I've
16 > wanted these flexibilities from portage.
17
18 So you want to avoid having your devs dealing with system management
19 yet allow them to customize the install? Is that right? I imagine
20 deploying a NFS mounted 'image' may be easier and allow the sys-admins
21 (you) to update the prefix when you want to. However, I do know that
22 grobian has worked on a "stage4" type install that allow you to
23 'transplant' prefixes much like you are describing. I will let him
24 comment on that. Sorry I am of not much help at the moment.
25
26 -Jeremy
27 --
28 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list