From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Using Gentoo Prefix to support a more recent version of Eclipse?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 21:04:13
1 On Wed, Aug 19, 2020, at 3:52 PM, Rabbe Fogelholm wrote:
2 > Thanks Benda for encouragement.
3 >
4 > The bootstrapping was a breeze. I started it off and it finished in a couple of
5 > hours.
6 >
7 > Emerging 'meld', another GTK application, was possible after adding some
8 > masks and USE flags.
9 >
10 > With Java, no success yet. I am trying to use a LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but
11 > that causes Java to crash immediately. Maybe this is just not doable.
12 >
13 > BR and thanks / Rabbe
16 Do you have specific errors for Java?
19 > Benda Xu wrote:
20 > > Hi Rabbe,
21 > >
22 > > Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se> writes:
23 > >
24 > >> I have a situation where Gentoo Prefix may possibly help.
25 > >>
26 > >> I want to run Eclipse with a plugin for Erlang development. The plugin
27 > >> requires me to use a recent version of Eclipse. However, the platform
28 > >> that I am stuck with is Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS, which has an old GTK 3
29 > >> version, which would force me to use Eclipse "Oxygen", not compatible
30 > >> with the Erlang plugin.
31 > >>
32 > >> So, I am wondering: If I can get Gentoo Prefix set up, with presumably
33 > >> an up-to-date version of GTK 3, could I then hope that this Eclipse
34 > >> can find the newer GTK 3 and run happily?
35 > > Yes, Gentoo Prefix will help. That said, it might not work out of the
36 > > box. I don't know anyone who is using Eclipse on Gentoo Prefix.
37 > >
38 > > You can expect bugs along your way to the destiny. And that's a good
39 > > way to contribute to Prefix by sharing your findings and solutions
40 > > through the bugzilla.
41 > >
42 > > Yours,
43 > > Benda