From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] openssh 5 mask
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:34:29
1 On 15-05-2008 15:25:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
2 > > Thanks for the in depth explanation. I'd not be surprised if Solaris
3 > > actually has the same problem.
4 >
5 > If solaris supports ssp, yes, i think so too.
6
7 I think it does support stack smashing protector stuff ;)
8
9 > > I've no idea of it in the main tree, but since it doesn't even compile
10 > > on Linux, I'd say, keep it masked.
11 >
12 > Yeah, but maybe disabling the ssp for configure is the right way to
13 > go, since ssp is explicitly disabled when building gcc. I don't think
14 > that it will help sitting it out.
15
16 gentoo-x86 has to figure this out for sure. SSP is a security thing,
17 and you don't *ever* want it to be disabled on a thing like SSH if you
18 enabled it for GCC (like hardened profiles do).
19
20 > > If Interix needs it, and has it compiling all the way, Markus use
21 > > package.unmask in the interix profile.
22 >
23 > I could live with 4.7 too, if I must... also somehow I didn't manage
24 > to get it unmasked other than commenting out the mask... I tried
25 > almost half an hour with package.unmask in different locations,
26 > etc.... it didn't work *arg*...
27
28 It may be that package.unmask doesn't work in the profiles. Sorry,
29 never checked that.
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level
35 --