From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] creating a prefix.eclass?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:35:10
1 On 10-03-2009 17:17:00 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 10:15 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Currently we have eprefixify as function provided by Portage, and hence
4 > > ebuilds that use eprefixify cannot be straight ported to gentoo-x86.
5 > > Most notable are the eselect-* ebuilds that some gentoo-x86 devs like to
6 > > give full Prefix support, but simply can't because eprefixify (which we
7 > > would use) cannot be used in gentoo-x86.
8 >
9 > Maybe indeed you're right, eprefixify is just an utility to help fixing
10 > package's code and should not be part of an EAPI.
11
12 I think I'll draft up a proposal tonight.
13
14 > > So, should we start an eclass with for now eprefixify in there, and for
15 > > every ebuild where we use it, start inheriting prefix and nuke the
16 > > function from Portage? Somehow I think this is a good idea.
17 >
18 > In gentoo-x86, this indeed can help to integrate prefix ebuilds, even
19 > with EAPI 0. Just set EPREFIX/ED/EROOT if unset, in global scope.
20
21 I had not thought about that one, actually. That's really cool. Sort
22 of makes our ebuilds backwards compatible...
23
24 > But the keyword issue still stands...
25
26 True, but that's just politics.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level