From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:06:52
1 On 04/27/11 13:29, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote:
2 >> But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if
3 >> I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm).
4 >
5 > Well, I've tried to have crossdev itself working in prefix and I
6 > succeeded, the big problem was to cross-build the glibc, then I didnt
7 > have the time to finish but maybe I could use some help?
8
9 Shouldn't glibc be the very first package crossdev does build?
10 What exactly is the problem?
11
12 >> The special use case for Prefix here IMO is the combination of
13 >> ROOT="/somewhere" with EPREFIX="" and non-Prefix profiles/keywords.
14 > Yes, crossdev already uses the ROOT variable to specify the
15 > installation path, I'm not yet very familiar with prefix related
16 > variables so it might only be a matter of studying...
17
18 Eventually you might try to build your packages within Prefix,
19 without cross-compiling first.
20
21 > For instance what you mean exactly by "non-Prefix profiles/keywords"?
22
23 I'm not familiar with crossdev, but I guess you need to set up the
24 "${ROOT}/etc/make.profile" symlink, pointing to something like
25 ".../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/...", resulting in
26 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS like "x86 ~x86"
27
28 In Prefix, you set up "${ROOT}${EPREFIX}/etc/make.profile" pointing
29 to something like ".../usr/portage/profiles/prefix/...", so
30 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is something like "~x86-interix".
31
32 The special case for your crossdev-usecase within Prefix is that EPREFIX
33 is empty for $host (as in $ROOT$EPREFIX), while not empty for $build.
34
35 > Yes, I'm already a crossdev user and I actually think it could be the
36 > tool I am looking for, possibly with some tweaks.
37
38 Have you also tried using crossdev on vanilla Gentoo Linux to build
39 your software?
40
41 >> Then I'd try to fix crossdev to work within Gentoo Prefix, trying
42 >> to get identical output as on the vanilla Gentoo Linux system.
43 > That's the difficult part :)
44
45 Show us the error messages, and you might get concrete help.
46
47 > Do you guys find this kind
48 > of development useful/challenging?
49
50 Definitively.
51
52 > In which case, have you got a rough
53 > idea about the effort in making a working prototype (your guess would
54 > be much better then mine)?
55
56 Unfortunately, not from me.
57