From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 17:06:52
On 04/27/11 13:29, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote:
>> But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if >> I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm). > > Well, I've tried to have crossdev itself working in prefix and I > succeeded, the big problem was to cross-build the glibc, then I didnt > have the time to finish but maybe I could use some help?
Shouldn't glibc be the very first package crossdev does build? What exactly is the problem?
>> The special use case for Prefix here IMO is the combination of >> ROOT="/somewhere" with EPREFIX="" and non-Prefix profiles/keywords. > Yes, crossdev already uses the ROOT variable to specify the > installation path, I'm not yet very familiar with prefix related > variables so it might only be a matter of studying...
Eventually you might try to build your packages within Prefix, without cross-compiling first.
> For instance what you mean exactly by "non-Prefix profiles/keywords"?
I'm not familiar with crossdev, but I guess you need to set up the "${ROOT}/etc/make.profile" symlink, pointing to something like ".../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/...", resulting in ACCEPT_KEYWORDS like "x86 ~x86" In Prefix, you set up "${ROOT}${EPREFIX}/etc/make.profile" pointing to something like ".../usr/portage/profiles/prefix/...", so ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is something like "~x86-interix". The special case for your crossdev-usecase within Prefix is that EPREFIX is empty for $host (as in $ROOT$EPREFIX), while not empty for $build.
> Yes, I'm already a crossdev user and I actually think it could be the > tool I am looking for, possibly with some tweaks.
Have you also tried using crossdev on vanilla Gentoo Linux to build your software?
>> Then I'd try to fix crossdev to work within Gentoo Prefix, trying >> to get identical output as on the vanilla Gentoo Linux system. > That's the difficult part :)
Show us the error messages, and you might get concrete help.
> Do you guys find this kind > of development useful/challenging?
Definitively.
> In which case, have you got a rough > idea about the effort in making a working prototype (your guess would > be much better then mine)?
Unfortunately, not from me. /haubi/ -- Michael Haubenwallner Gentoo on a different level