From: Martin Luessi <mluessi@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: emerge gcc 4.4.x/4.5.x fails on CentOS 5.5
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:58:58
1 On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 6:34 AM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 24-09-2011 12:19:14 +0200, Moritz Schlarb wrote:
4 >> Hash: SHA1
5 >>
6 >> Hey,
7 >>
8 >> same problem here on SLES 10.1. (glibc-2.4)
9 >> It seems like there is some kind of infinite loop, because the error
10 >> messages always repeat like this many many times.
11 >>
12 >> But! (I want to bootstrap prefix on a high performance computing cluster
13 >> system, where I work and have made available GCC 4.4 and GCC 4.6 by
14 >> compiling my hand and integrating it to the base system) If I compile
15 >> GCC 4.4 (or 4.6) by hand (without doing any magic), It works fine!
16 >> So I'm sorry to say that, but there must be something caused by the
17 >> ebuild...
18 >> If my time allows it, I'll look into it in five minutes, this is just a
19 >> message to everyone having this issue that there may be a light on the
20 >> horizon! ;)
21 >
22 > try USE=vanilla, see if that works
23
24 Be careful with that. I was able to install gcc 4.5 using -vanilla bit
25 then later on random packages would fail to compile. In particular I
26 had a problem with libxml2, which seemed to get linked to system
27 libraries instead of the ones in prefix. I'm not sure if this is
28 related, all I know is that the problem goes away when using gcc 4.2.
29
30 Also, have a look at the gcc ebuild the regular portage tree, gcc
31 4.5.2 requires >=glibc.2.8, I assume there is a reason for that.
32
33 Best,
34
35 Martin