From: Piergiorgio Beruto <piergiorgio.beruto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:02:20
1 Hello!
2
3 On Wednesday 27 April 2011 19:06:29 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
4 > On 04/27/11 13:29, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote:
5 > >> But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if
6 > >> I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm).
7 > >
8 > > Well, I've tried to have crossdev itself working in prefix and I
9 > > succeeded, the big problem was to cross-build the glibc, then I didnt
10 > > have the time to finish but maybe I could use some help?
11 >
12 > Shouldn't glibc be the very first package crossdev does build?
13 > What exactly is the problem?
14 Actually the build order is binutils, kernel headers, glibc headers, gcc stage
15 1, glibc and gcc stage 2. I encountered problems with glibc not being able to
16 properly detect the previous installed packages, most probably because of
17 prefix as on the plain vanilla gentoo everything worked fine... but I've tried
18 this some time ago, I'd better try again and eventually report the problem
19 with the full log maybe?
20 >
21 > >> The special use case for Prefix here IMO is the combination of
22 > >> ROOT="/somewhere" with EPREFIX="" and non-Prefix profiles/keywords.
23 > >
24 > > Yes, crossdev already uses the ROOT variable to specify the
25 > > installation path, I'm not yet very familiar with prefix related
26 > > variables so it might only be a matter of studying...
27 >
28 > Eventually you might try to build your packages within Prefix,
29 > without cross-compiling first.
30 --> already done, works just fine.
31 >
32 > > For instance what you mean exactly by "non-Prefix profiles/keywords"?
33 >
34 > I'm not familiar with crossdev, but I guess you need to set up the
35 > "${ROOT}/etc/make.profile" symlink, pointing to something like
36 > ".../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/...", resulting in
37 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS like "x86 ~x86"
38 ah, ok, crossdev already care about this but now I understand what u mean.
39 >
40 > In Prefix, you set up "${ROOT}${EPREFIX}/etc/make.profile" pointing
41 > to something like ".../usr/portage/profiles/prefix/...", so
42 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is something like "~x86-interix".
43 >
44 > The special case for your crossdev-usecase within Prefix is that EPREFIX
45 > is empty for $host (as in $ROOT$EPREFIX), while not empty for $build.
46 >
47 > > Yes, I'm already a crossdev user and I actually think it could be the
48 > > tool I am looking for, possibly with some tweaks.
49 >
50 > Have you also tried using crossdev on vanilla Gentoo Linux to build
51 > your software?
52 Yes, works like a charm (more or less!)
53 >
54 > >> Then I'd try to fix crossdev to work within Gentoo Prefix, trying
55 > >> to get identical output as on the vanilla Gentoo Linux system.
56 > >
57 > > That's the difficult part :)
58 >
59 > Show us the error messages, and you might get concrete help.
60 Thank you, I'll come back to you as soon as I try again.
61 >
62 > > Do you guys find this kind
63 > > of development useful/challenging?
64 >
65 > Definitively.
66 Good, I should be able to spend some time on this then, thank you.
67 > > In which case, have you got a rough
68 > > idea about the effort in making a working prototype (your guess would
69 > > be much better then mine)?
70 >
71 > Unfortunately, not from me.
72 Nevermind, I think it's worth a try anyway :)
73 >
74 > /haubi/
75
76 Bye,