From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:40:26
1 On 25-03-2009 09:34:37 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > I'm having trouble formulating a response to haubi's point because it
3 > is highly divergent to my main goal(s) here.
4 >
5 > a) I want non prefix devs[1] to write ebuilds that work in prefix.
6 > But, without knowledge of how Gentoo Prefix works - they shouldn't
7 > need to know.
8
9 For many ebuilds they shouldn't even have to bother, in the ideal case.
10
11 > b) The current strategy of Gentoo Prefix keywords is if it compiles on
12 > one arch, it generally will compile on the rest. (Not always true, but
13 > mostly true)
14
15 I don't really agree on this one... The only think I assume is that if
16 it carries one prefix keyword, that the ebuild is probably checked for
17 the most (trivial) prefix issues, like configure flags, install
18 locations, etc.
19
20 > So, in response to the above points. If we had PREFIX_KEYWORDS, it
21 > should _default_ to all and then react to a failure. As in:
22 > PREFIX_KEYWORDS="* -x86-interix"
23
24 I still don't like this. I do a lot of work to keyword packages which
25 work, and maintain them on upgrades by having as much as possible
26 installed so I catch failures.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level