From: Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@××××××.ru>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Newbie guide for X11 in Gentoo Prefix on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 18:24:31
1 03.04.2013, 21:17, "Daniel Fabian" <daniel.fabian@×××××××××××.ch>:
2 > Hello all,
3 > I have successfully bootstrapped the Gentoo Prefix on my macs (both x64 and a ppc), I can successfully emerge some cli apps like gentoolkit or links. But as soon as I try emerging anything that has a gui, things seem to go really awry. I tried getting porthole or kuroo4 as graphical package managers (later i'd like to get firefox and lyx on my ppc).
4
5 There's nothing really special for GUI packages - I've had successfully installed Qt and Qt-based applications (though stand-alone build had less issues than building in prefix).
6
7 As for Firefox you really don't need to build it - use Tenfourfox build optimized for your CPU type.
10 > I'm not perfectly sure what's wrong, but I guess it might be that I don't have very reasonable USE flags for making this work.
11
12 You should use flag "aqua".
15 > Do you know of any newbie guide for getting to run some GUI applications on Mac OS X or maybe at least some make.conf that would get me a headstart? Also I found that one particular mesa package is masked with the comment, that it's probably not very stable and one should use opengl-apple instead. But emerge does not ask which one it should install, so I'm really not so sure how to start.
16 >
17 > Also... do I even need a separate xorg-server, given that I installed XQuartz? Basically, I cannot really follow the X server setup guide, because I am running on top of OS X and as such, I probably don't need drivers, maybe not even the X server, etc. What I really care about, is the ability to compile the application and then just use XQuartz to run it afterwards.
18
19 XQuartz is a special build of xorg-server, you don't need another server.
22 Regards,
23 Konstantin