From: Scott Spyrison <spyrison@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] sparc mysql-5.5.20
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 20:03:15
Hello,

I had a successful emerge system on sparc following the excellent
guide on bootstrapping Solaris.  I ran into a recently reported issue
with debianutils not being on the mirors, but worked through it based
on the information in the issue report.  My next step was to take a
backup of course, and then I started thinking about emerging packages.

The first one I tried was mysql-5.5.20 (with minimal).  I encountered
two issues, only one of which I was able to work-around.

1) emerge failed with:

Can't create output directory for
${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share/ukrainian

The root cause of this was not anything ukrainian, but the fact that
${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/work/mysql-5.5.20_build/sql/share
did not exist.  I created it manually during the emerge from a
different shell (not good, I know, just testing) and then I had a
successful build.  I see output indicating [100%] Buiilt target
symlink_libmysqlclient_r.so Install the project...

2) emerge then fails during install, and with --debug I can see:

+ newins ${EPREFIX}/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mysql-5.5.20/temp/my.cnf.ok my.cnf
You should not use ${EPREFIX} with helpers.
  --> ${EPREFIX}/etc/mysql
 * ERROR: dev-db/mysql-5.5.20 failed (install phase):
 *   newins failed

I intend to debug further, and I need to check more carefully on
Buzilla, but initially I did not see any reports on this.  Any
suggestions, or indication that this is a localized problem as opposed
to a bug?

Thanks,
Scott