From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Patch for openssl config script -- but not really
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:33:36
1 On 23-12-2010 08:26:32 -0600, Perry Smith wrote:
2 > On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:10 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > It should be IIRC, based on FEATURES=interactive. Anyway, if /bin/sh is
4 > > an issue on AIX, perhaps we better run their configure script with
5 > > Prefix'/bootstrap's bash instead?
6 >
7 > Seems like to get any type of wide spread stability between platforms and
8 > releases, you would want to use as few native elements as possible. So,
9
10 We try to do this as much as is reasonable. I think haubi backed up
11 most of that :) Prefix is indeed fully self-containing for this reason,
12 although on other platforms this may feel like a complete waste.
13
14 > using a bash that you have control over seems wise in the long term. The
15 > question is if this config script uses anything in ksh that isn't in bash. I would
16 > assume not since many /bin/sh's point to bash on other platforms (mac for
17 > example).
18 >
19 > The other thing is to be sure that the shell knows that it is running a script
20 > and is not interactive. If you passed bash the wrong flag, I bet it would
21 > make the same mistake and read input in raw mode so that the user could
22 > do command line editing (which you don't want in this case).
23
24 I'm not sure if I understand this well.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level