From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] break your AIX prefix: "aix-soname" even for gcc libraries (gcc_s, stdc++)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:06:08
1 On 08/13/2011 10:46 AM, Benda Xu wrote:
2 > Hi haubi,
3 >
4 > I have tested the new soname linking scheme on AIX 5.2, bootstrapped with
5 > the help of old Prefix(nearly 150 days old) from scratch.
6 >
7 > This is realy fantastic! I suppose this is the best practice for soname
8 > under AIX, and best mimics the behavior of runtime linking of GNU monolith.
9 > Everything essential is emerged so smooth that I couldn't even believe
10 > myself using AIX! The only two issues I encounter were bug 378915 and
11 > bug 378905.
12 >
13 > You are creating a marvel, Micheal. Thanks a ton!
14
15 Oh my dear, thank you for the flowers!
16
17 However, what I've seen in the update-snapshots just before my holidays:
18 After taking a few more ebuilds from gentoo-x86 rather than prefix-overlay,
19 they (again) lack 'elibtoolize', which is still necessary to activate the
20 "aix-soname", even if the packages ship with recent libtool.
21
22 Btw, that updating from "aix-soname" to "non-aix-soname" showed another bug
23 in portage's preserve-libs handling for AIX, IIRC breaking svn when updating
24 sqlite IIRC. So I'll have to debug again...
25
26 Anyway, it's time now to convince GNU upstream (libtool, gcc, maybe others)
27 this being the Right Thing (tm).
28
29 In the meantime, we still have to (tell gx86-devs to please) keep 'elibtoolize'
30 for AIX...
31
32 /haubi/
33 --