From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:00:59
1 On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 08:50 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 24-06-2008 17:54:42 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3
4 > Portage is not designed to be "handed over" to anyone. However, there
5 > should be just one place in Portage itself where the user is set (this
6 > pym/portage/const_autotool.py). It may implicitly encode it in
7 > installed packages, but this is due to the nature of those packages that
8 > do that themselves.
9 >
10 > Maybe one of the two following things is interesting to you:
11
12 > - alternate Prefix
13 > Setting the EPREFIX variable in the environment makes Portage respect
14 > that location, and install in the location pointed to by $EPREFIX.
15 > This is what Jeremy hinted on, and would allow an existing Prefix
16 > installation to "clone" itself by installing in another location. The
17 > username problems wouldn't go away, but I guess we could fix that in
18 > the ebuild (right now it copies them from the current Portage).
19 >
20 > Binary packages are somewhat tested, the alternate Prefix I really
21 > played with, but haubi and mduft use it, if I recall correctly.
22
23 Need to say we run snapshots of prefix-launcher as one user here, but
24 actually do the eprefix-bootstrap as different user.
25
26 To do a cross-user bootstrap, prefix-launcher applies a patch[1] to
27 portage, which uses the owner (group) of the new $EPREFIX directory as
28 its "root"-user ("portage"-group)...
29
30 Note: The cross-eprefix (but same-user) _bootstrap_ works without this
31 patch already. But this is different than what mduft needs for the
32 windows build.
33
34 [1] http://prefix-launcher.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/prefix-launcher/prefix-launcher/trunk/portage/patches/15-new-eprefix.patch?revision=160&view=markup
35