From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] profile's default use flags tuning
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:07:55
On 20-04-2007 15:30:55 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> Hi, > > In a profile's default USE flags I'd prefer to see only those enabled, > that do not pull in more dependencies (to download) then found in > 'system' anyway. > > Samples of what I mean: > 'python': We cannot do anything without python: keep it enabled.
<rant> Eh what? It's just a frikkin USE-flag, and I'd like to avoid having as much as python as I can on my systems! </rant>
> 'zlib': Even if zlib is not USEd, it is part of 'system': keep enabled. > 'berkdb': If not USEd, sys-libs/db is not needed: disable by default. > 'unicode': does not pull in anything, but IMO is state of the art ? > > For 'fortran', this pulls in dev-libs/gmp and dev-libs/mpfr, so I'd like > to see it disabled by default.
I just got scared by the "sane defaults" message from the base profile. But I guess since I don't do this on Solaris and Darwin either, that it is also sane not to have it on by default.
> As a result, I'd say to have these use flags (on linux) as default: > ncurses: required by bash > python: required by portage > ssl: required by openssh (pulled in by virtual/ssh on linux) > readline: required by baselayoyt-prefix (why?) > zlib: required by openssh > unicode: nice to have without additional dependencies > more ?
What does "required" mean? If it's required, it shouldn't be an optional USE-flag. I think you confuse dependencies with extra features here. I dropped berkdb in favour of ssl. I'm not sure if that is good, as you might want a python with some sort of database backend compiled in, but I'm not sure. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level -- gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list