From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:53:00
On 27-05-2011 12:33:56 -0400, Christopher Friedt wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote: > > when emerging binpkgs if "build EPREFIX" != "your EPREFIX" - the catch? The > > build prefix must be longer than then new prefix. I build binaries in a > > prefix that is 97 characters long, assuming that the average user will pick > > a shorter location ;) This greatly reduces the time for a new prefix > > installation (down to as quick as 5-7 minutes). In my opinion, changing the > > docs is even less of a solution. > > Good call - there's always a catch though isn't there ;-) Just > overwriting strings in the binaries sounds like a good idea. Then > there's also random regular text files too.
It's not too "just overwriting strings" here. See man chpathtool. I just noticed this manpage is quite out of date, since it uses different strategies for binary and text files these days.
We have the default-prefix dir on http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/ Have you considered trying to do cross-prefix stuff (if you need it?) E.g. building cross target for a different target EPREFIX? You don't really need it if you're happy with chpathtool, but technically (at one point at least) you could emerge for a different EPREFIX than the one portage was built with/for. I'm not sure if this path is tested much lately though. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level