From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] profile's default use flags tuning
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:31:22
Hi,

In a profile's default USE flags I'd prefer to see only those enabled,
that do not pull in more dependencies (to download) then found in
'system' anyway.

Samples of what I mean:
'python': We cannot do anything without python: keep it enabled.
'zlib': Even if zlib is not USEd, it is part of 'system': keep enabled.
'berkdb': If not USEd, sys-libs/db is not needed: disable by default.
'unicode': does not pull in anything, but IMO is state of the art ?

For 'fortran', this pulls in dev-libs/gmp and dev-libs/mpfr, so I'd like
to see it disabled by default.

As a result, I'd say to have these use flags (on linux) as default:
ncurses:   required by bash
python:    required by portage
ssl:       required by openssh (pulled in by virtual/ssh on linux)
readline:  required by baselayoyt-prefix (why?)
zlib:      required by openssh
unicode:   nice to have without additional dependencies
more ?

Thoughts ?

/haubi/

--
Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz