From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] OpenRC on Prefix for service daemons
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 15:12:01
Dear All,

Have you ever wanted to start a daemon from prefix in a gentoo way but
noticed portage saying
,----
| * removed /etc/init.d and /etc/conf.d directories until bug #196294 has
been resolved
`----
to you? It has been disappointing for to me to manually start daemons
repeatedly.

A solution introducing OpenRC[1] is around the corner waiting for your
trial and review:

     https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/Prefix

As you can see from the contents,

   1 USING heroxbd's openrc-prefix overlay
       1.1 install baselayout-prefix and portage from the overlay
   2 GETTING openrc-9999 emerged on prefix
       2.1 glibc and sysvinit
       2.2 OpenRC config
   3 EXAMPLE: tinc
       3.1 prefixify init script
       3.2 fire up tincd from OpenRC
   4 EXAMPLE: nginx
       4.1 prefixify init script
       4.2 prefixify nginx.conf
       4.3 normal privilege
       4.4 add nginx to default runlevel and fire up
   5 Further Reading

following the tutorial will give you a working tinc and/or nginx managed
by OpenRC, and of course a common base to start any daemon from Prefix
in the unified Gentoo way with power of OpenRC.

Enjoy ;) Don't forget to email or bug me for feedback.

Cheers!
Benda

1. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/