From: Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Proposal: use git instead of rsync for syncing of prefix portage tree
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:03:30
1 22.01.2012, 00:55, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@g.o>:
2 > On 21-01-2012 23:44:18 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
3 >
4 >> šAdvantage: much faster emerge --sync
5 >
6 > proof?
7
8 Well... I realize that I should put some benchmark here, however
9 I thought this is just a common sense. If you ever used git, you should
10 know that e.g. if almost nothing has changed on remote (regular update),
11 sync time will approach zero, but rsync always needs to iterate through
12 all ebuilds to check if each file doesn't change separately.
13
14 Funtoo was already mentioned; team of Calculate Linux reports that
15 after they switched to git for portage syncing, speed increased significantly.
18 >> šPossible migration path:
19 >> š1) git init in master mirror of prefix portage tree
20 >> š2) deliver files of initial .git repository via rsync
21 >
22 > the prefix neither the main tree aren't even in git, so it would only be
23 > artificial bloat that keeps history
24
25 If you used git you should know that "bloat" is not significant. It's not SVN :)
26
27 with a non-existing/hard upgrade
28 > path that's going to disappear as soon as we no longer need our overlay
29
30 Sorry, I haven't thought of it. Is there upgrade path from rsync btw?
33 Regards,
34 Konstantin