From: Konstantin Tokarev <annulen@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Proposal: use git instead of rsync for syncing of prefix portage tree
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:03:30
22.01.2012, 00:55, "Fabian Groffen" <grobian@g.o>:
> On 21-01-2012 23:44:18 +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote: > >> šAdvantage: much faster emerge --sync > > proof?
Well... I realize that I should put some benchmark here, however I thought this is just a common sense. If you ever used git, you should know that e.g. if almost nothing has changed on remote (regular update), sync time will approach zero, but rsync always needs to iterate through all ebuilds to check if each file doesn't change separately. Funtoo was already mentioned; team of Calculate Linux reports that after they switched to git for portage syncing, speed increased significantly.
> >> šPossible migration path: >> š1) git init in master mirror of prefix portage tree >> š2) deliver files of initial .git repository via rsync > > the prefix neither the main tree aren't even in git, so it would only be > artificial bloat that keeps history
If you used git you should know that "bloat" is not significant. It's not SVN :) with a non-existing/hard upgrade
> path that's going to disappear as soon as we no longer need our overlay
Sorry, I haven't thought of it. Is there upgrade path from rsync btw? -- Regards, Konstantin