From: Christopher Friedt <chrisfriedt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] portable EPREFIX? ... crossdev toolchains, anyone?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 15:43:05
1 Hi list,
2
3 I recently switched to a Mac after over a decade of various machines
4 running Linux (Gentoo for the most part), and think that the EPREFIX
5 install is great.
6
7 One of the first things I did was hack together a couple of crossdev
8 toolchains after installing Gentoo-Prefix (it was a bit of a battle,
9 but it does work).
10
11 I thought, "yay! now I can share these binaries and save others their
12 time", but then I realized there was a big problem.
13
14 The EPREFIX suggested on the bootstrap page[1] (at least for Mac) is
15 completely non-portable, since EPREFIX=${HOME}/Gentoo will change with
16 every single username. This prevents people like me from sharing
17 useful things like crossdev toolchains that might not be so easy for
18 others to put together.
19
20 Wouldn't a better solution for the guide be to _strongly_emphasize_ a
21 common-ish EPREFIX such as '/opt/gentoo' or '/Users/Gentoo' ?
22
23 I chose to use EPREFIX=/Users/Gentoo, since that is a fairly open spot
24 on most Macs, and it likely wouldn't collide with any unix-y paths
25 that might be used for some other purpose. Incidentally, I'd love to
26 post my cross-toolchains for anyone to download - can someone from the
27 gentoo-alt project host them?
28
29 Currently, I have
30
31 x86_64-apple-darwin10 => i686-pc-linux-gnu
32 x86_64-apple-darwin10 => armv7a-softfloat-linux-gnueabi
33
34 The softfloat toolchain can easily be used to build 'softfp' binaries
35 (i.e. binaries that use e.g. neon or vfp, but still work with a
36 softfloat userspace) simply by using e.g. CFLAGS="-march=armv7a
37 -mfloat-abi=softfp -fpu=neon".
38
39 They can be installed with 'emerge -Kav
40 cross-i686-pc-linux/{binutils,linux-headers,gcc,glibc}'.
41
42 Cheers,
43
44 C