From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Portability of Prefixed installs?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:50:37
1 On 24-06-2008 17:54:42 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > > Neither of these issues is a huge deal, as we're happy just
3 > > distributing new images from time to time and not making our devs deal
4 > > with system management, but there've been several times when I've
5 > > wanted these flexibilities from portage.
6 >
7 > So you want to avoid having your devs dealing with system management
8 > yet allow them to customize the install? Is that right? I imagine
9 > deploying a NFS mounted 'image' may be easier and allow the sys-admins
10 > (you) to update the prefix when you want to. However, I do know that
11 > grobian has worked on a "stage4" type install that allow you to
12 > 'transplant' prefixes much like you are describing. I will let him
13 > comment on that. Sorry I am of not much help at the moment.
14
15 Portage is not designed to be "handed over" to anyone. However, there
16 should be just one place in Portage itself where the user is set (this
17 pym/portage/const_autotool.py). It may implicitly encode it in
18 installed packages, but this is due to the nature of those packages that
19 do that themselves.
20
21 Maybe one of the two following things is interesting to you:
22 - binary packages
23 Prefix Portage can install from binary packages made for "another"
24 Prefix. You could use them to get each developer to quickly get up to
25 speed, in their own Prefix installation.
26 - alternate Prefix
27 Setting the EPREFIX variable in the environment makes Portage respect
28 that location, and install in the location pointed to by $EPREFIX.
29 This is what Jeremy hinted on, and would allow an existing Prefix
30 installation to "clone" itself by installing in another location. The
31 username problems wouldn't go away, but I guess we could fix that in
32 the ebuild (right now it copies them from the current Portage).
33
34 Binary packages are somewhat tested, the alternate Prefix I really
35 played with, but haubi and mduft use it, if I recall correctly.
39 Fabian Groffen
40 Gentoo on a different level
41 --
42 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list