From: Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Dropping ia64-linux - anyone care?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:35:13
1 On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:29:00 -0600
2 Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Fabian and I discussed dropping ia64-linux support. Time to face
5 > reality, we don't use it and we don't test it... Does anyone out there
6 > care about ia64-linux?
7
8 I do. :)
9
10 There are still many scientific users who have itanium boxes left
11 around. Even if they are migrating away from them, I'm sure these are
12 still used if possible.
13
14 I haven't tried prefix on an ia64 box yet. We have one with gentoo on
15 it already. I can use that if you need someone to test stuff.
18 I don't mean to hijack the thread, but here is some context:
19
20 I've been developing a (math oriented) scientific software distribution
21 [1] based on gentoo-prefix and sage-on-gentoo [2]. This relies on the
22 compiler and toolchain on the host instead of building everything from
23 scratch. Progress is rather slow, since I don't have much time to work
24 on this, but it's getting there.
25
26 [1] https://bitbucket.org/burcin/sage-prefix
27 [2] https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
28
29 It can build Sage [3] with all it's dependencies (modulo jmol - a java
30 application for 3D graphs) on various linux distros. I don't have
31 access to any OSX machines other than a 10.5 PPC box, where everything
32 that doesn't need a fortran compiler works. I've had reports that OSX
33 10.6 is in a similar state.
34
35 [3] http://sagemath.org/
36
37 I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions about how to go about this.
38 I didn't have any gentoo developer experience when I started. I'm sure
39 there are quite a lot of thing I need to learn.
42 Cheers,
43 Burcin