From: Ramon van Alteren <ramon@××××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo 64bit vagrant base box available
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 00:02:36
Hey,

Disclaimer: this has nothing to do with prefix specifically other than me
talking about it on the irc channel with some of you.

Vagrant is a virtualbox management script, you can read about it here:
http://www.vagrantup.com

Basically it allows you to build a set of vm's using either chef or puppet
as a configuration manager from a base box.
After that you can destroy the vm environment, as long as you keep the
basebox and the manifests/cookbooks you can resurrect it in minutes again.

I've finished a base-box for gentoo which is suitably small (800M) to be
distributed.

It's a very basic gentoo install with few additions installed.
 - puppet-2.6.2 + deps
 - vim
 - metalog
 - vixie-cron
 - latest virtualbox guest additions
 - sudo

There are no manpages, docs or info pages installed, no nls support and the
kernel sources are compressed.
The kernel was generated using genkernel.

You can download it from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4270274/gentoo64.box

I'll see if I can make a set of ebuilds for vagrant and dependencies next
week, most of the required dependencies are already in portage (and work on
my macos64 prefix)
the only two that are  missing are the virtualbox gem and the vagrant gem
itself.

Have fun with it,

Ramon

P.S> If you're on prefix you need to install the libffi / ruby-ffi libs from
portage and NOT use gem to install them. If you don't vagrant will appear to
work, but fail somewhere in the vm-instantiation process with unclear
errors.