From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] AIX linking adventure
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:49:35
Hi Perry!

On 02/08/2011 01:35 AM, Perry Smith wrote:
> This is *not* ready for prime time but I thought I would mention it here. > > I wrote a front end to AIX's ld command as well as a relink command I'm calling "rl".
Actually, in Prefix we already do wrap AIX' ld in sys-devel/binutils-config to get the runpaths (the -blibpath argument) right. At the moment I'm trying another thing to get full "soname" support, both with and without libtool, using Import Files. There is an RFC[1] for the way I want to have shared libraries being created on AIX. However, I'm still unsure if we actually should use the '# autoload' thingy, but ignore the auto-dependency problem[2] instead. [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2011-01/msg00023.html [2] http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-alt/msg_b7aec69c70e257206ac49f74a41c9af6.xml Additionally, for packages not using libtool, there's another ld wrapper in sys-devel/native-cctools waiting for checkin here to support the '-soname' flag known on ELF (Linux), creating the shared libraries according to above way[1]. Eventually, this second wrapper would be merged into binutils-config's wrapper.
> You can see them here: > > https://github.com/pedz/aixbin
Commenting on 'Readme.markdown' found there: Why do you move '-blibpath' arguments to '-L' arguments? IMO, the other way round would make more sense actually. Why do you need 'rl' (relink) at all?
> I've used this only for Ruby -- and it was in fact Ruby that caused me to do this. > Their out of the box system does not work at all for AIX if the prefix directory is not the same as GCC's. > WIth this, I can now use rvm on AIX and do "rvm install 1.9.1" and it will complete successfully without my fingers leaving my hands.
Haven't used/installed Ruby on any platform yet: What is 'rvm' ?
> I mentioned this idea on this list before but it didn't fly very well. > I'm not sure if it was completely understood.
I fail to find that post you're referring to. Has it been within one of the threads we already created together, and I've overlooked it?
> This is more of a proof of concept at this stage. I'm going to putter around and try and use it on other packages.
For packages not aware of AIX at all: How would this require their build systems to be patched?
> "rl" could be enhanced to take "from" and "to" directories. > If you wanted to change files installed in /some/old/directory and put them into /some/new/directory, rl could easily modified do that.
In which context do you need this use case? And how would you do that on Linux? /haubi/ -- Michael Haubenwallner Gentoo on a different level