From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Questions on making ebuilds on OS X
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:59:49
On 21-01-2011 22:01:17 +1300, François Bissey wrote:
> I have been toying with a Gentoo prefix on OS X (10.5) for the > last month. > > I spent most of my time getting things in shape to have sage from > the sage-on-gentoo overlay build on OS X. > > I have something that runs now and I'd like to clean up my work > and put some of it in good shape for submission. > > I was working on x86-macos with 10.5 and a friend of mine was > testing on x64-macos with 10.6 (he also have a ppc-macos, presumably > 10.4 on which he plans to test the stuff). > > 1) I have one ebuild in which I need to set > MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET > How do I identify the various flavours of OS X, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, to set > it right?
I'd like to trace down why your package needs this to be set. The Prefix profiles for OSX already set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET explicitly to the right version. Check make.defaults and profile.bashrc.
> 2) framework: I noticed that we build the python framework. Do we preferably > build framework? Or the reverse? I have worked on dev-lang/R and I didn't > build it as a framework and ended up with a bunch of .so which should have > been ".bundle" I believe.
We build the framework *next* to the normal UNIX way, just because of graphical application support for Python. Due to how OSX works, a graphical application that uses CoreGraphics (or something) needs to call those methods from a Bundle environment, which a Framework is. It is preferred not to build in frameworks in Gentoo Prefix from my point of view where possible. Note that Python is built in both ways, such that you only need to worry about the Framework when you do a graphical app (which in general only looks for the Framework, so that works out nicely). The .so vs .bundle is an a problem sometimes solved using elibtoolize, but in R's case probably by patching the buildsystem.
> 3) how do you do debugging? I installed gdb-apple and build stuff with > -ggdb and nostripe, but gdb still says it cannot find the symbols...
This largely depends on the code you're debugging. gdb-apple works fine for me, but of course parts from the system are without debugging symbols. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level