From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] OS X launchd DISPLAY environment variable
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 06:25:29
On 07-04-2009 02:10:24 -0400, John Gibson wrote:
> I recently upgraded to 10.5 and had to rebootstrap. After doing so, > X11 apps installed to my prefix yielded errors like this: > Can't connect to display `/tmp/launch-ICEBGq/:0': Invalid argument at... > > See here for some more info: > http://lists.apple.com/archives/x11-users/2008/Nov/msg00089.html > > With xhost tweaking I got stuff to work by doing this: > DISPLAY=localhost:0.0. > > I looked into the libX11 configure script and found this: > --with-launchd Build with support for Apple's launchd > (default: > auto) > > Apparently the auto detection didn't work. I forced the switch on > with a new USE flag (see the attached patch) and the launchd-specific > DISPLAY variable worked.
Ok, nice!
> Is the USE flag the right approach? Can we default the switch to be > on for macos?
Does it work on 10.4 as well? If so, we can just use a CHOST check for *-darwin*, otherwise, just check for *-darwin9 and enable it based upon that. I think it makes sense to enable it without USE-flag, provided DISPLAY=:0.0 also still works when launchd socket support is enabled. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level