From: Matt Michalowski <me@××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Mock up Linux bootstrap guide
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 08:55:16
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Without internet I have to change my focus of development, as not
5 > everything is possible at the moment ;)
6 >
7 > I quickly wrote an initial version of a Linux bootstrap guide. It isn't
8 > linked on the web yet, as I first would like to see some feedback on it.
9 > I haven't tested it yet myself either.
14 I've bootstrapped on a couple of various distros before (adapting the OS
15 X instructions), but today I finally got around to testing the Linux
16 guide on a fresh Debian Etch x86 install. Pretty smooth overall, but I
17 thought I'd share some comments/opinions.
18
19 Without a C++ compiler, ncurses and Python will fail to compile during
20 the bootstrap. I see a couple of potential options here:
21 - The "As prerequisite, you need a GCC compiler" line could clarify that
22 you need both gcc and g++ from GCC.
23 - Code listings 1.7 & 1.13 could have USE="nocxx" emerge bash / python.
24 - Perhaps an instruction or (bootstrap_tree could do this) to:
25 $ echo 'sys-libs/ncurses nocxx' >> $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.use
26 $ echo 'dev-lang/python nocxx' >> $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.use
27 with an instruction to clear them later.
28
29 The autoconf-2.13 ebuild has texinfo as a dependency, and will fail to
30 emerge unless the system provides makeinfo. I think Code Listing 1.10
31 ("emerge --oneshot --nodeps texinfo") should be moved before Code
32 Listing 1.8 (emerge autotools).
33
34 Similarly, the libtool ebuild calls automake-wrapper's aclocal, which in
35 turn executes gawk. Hence the emerge libtool in Code Listing 1.11
36 ("emerge --oneshot --nodeps libtool") will fail unless the system also
37 provides gawk, so perhaps Code Listing 1.15 ("emerge --oneshot gawk")
38 should come before this.
39
40 So apart from these minor hiccups, all went well, great work Fabian. :)
41
42 Matt.
43 --
44 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list