From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix keywords in main tree
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:52:17
On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 15:42 -0700, Peter Abrahamsen wrote:
> Hi Haubi, > > I'm not sure I've spent enough time thinking about these things to > give you very good feedback, but as an enterprise-ish user, I'm pretty > excited about the direction you're going.
Thank you!
> > Perhaps I've misunderstood your proposal,
Seems you have understood my proposal quite correctly.
> but I guess I'd prefer a > solution for stabilization of packages that doesn't require me to make > any alterations to the upstream ebuilds. If I could simply "apply" > keywords to package versions from e.g. /etc/portage/package.whatever, > that'd be simpler. My work then is just in maintaining an overlay with > special packages/package versions required by my systems, and bumping > up the stable versions of critical packages, and not with merging > ebuild changes.
This is a different - nevertheless still valid - approach. But you still have to copy otherways unchanged ebuilds+files+distfiles into your local tree&mirror, as they might drop out from main tree&mirror while your releases still include them.
> > If I've misunderstood something, perhaps you could walk me through a > possible workflow?
I think I'm going a different way: cancel this glep, use already established methods instead. I plan to do my own stable keywords in my local tree, and when users want to have more packages, they simply can use the main tree as overlay. /haubi/