From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix keywords in main tree
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:52:17
1 On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 15:42 -0700, Peter Abrahamsen wrote:
2 > Hi Haubi,
3 >
4 > I'm not sure I've spent enough time thinking about these things to
5 > give you very good feedback, but as an enterprise-ish user, I'm pretty
6 > excited about the direction you're going.
7
8 Thank you!
11 > Perhaps I've misunderstood your proposal,
12
13 Seems you have understood my proposal quite correctly.
14
15 > but I guess I'd prefer a
16 > solution for stabilization of packages that doesn't require me to make
17 > any alterations to the upstream ebuilds. If I could simply "apply"
18 > keywords to package versions from e.g. /etc/portage/package.whatever,
19 > that'd be simpler. My work then is just in maintaining an overlay with
20 > special packages/package versions required by my systems, and bumping
21 > up the stable versions of critical packages, and not with merging
22 > ebuild changes.
23
24 This is a different - nevertheless still valid - approach.
25 But you still have to copy otherways unchanged ebuilds+files+distfiles
26 into your local tree&mirror, as they might drop out from main
27 tree&mirror while your releases still include them.
30 > If I've misunderstood something, perhaps you could walk me through a
31 > possible workflow?
32
33 I think I'm going a different way: cancel this glep, use already
34 established methods instead. I plan to do my own stable keywords in my
35 local tree, and when users want to have more packages, they simply can
36 use the main tree as overlay.
37
38 /haubi/
41 > Cheers,