From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] ibm-jdk-bin on aix
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 16:23:48
Hi Grobian,

on AIX, obviously I do want to use the IBM JDK, especially as they
provide a 'redist' tar ball, which I do have the ebuild for already.

Besides generic prefix support, there are only a few very minor changes
necessary to the existent upstream ibm-jdk-bin ebuilds (yes, IBM
provides their JDK for {x86,amd64}-linux and {ppc,ppc64}-linux too) to
use IBM's "j632redist.tar.gz" (or "j664redist.tar.gz" for 64bit), as its
content is quite identical to what is found in the linux tar balls.

Unfortunately, IBM does not put version numbers in the redist filename
(besides 5 and 6 for the main java version). When they update their
site, the old version cannot be retrieved any more.
What whould you suggest to do here?
At the moment, I advise the user to rename "j632redist.tar.gz" to
something like "j632redist-${PV}.tar.gz" when downloading.

But the main problem as long as we are semi-auto-syncing from main tree
is: When I add dev-java/ibm-jdk-bin to the Prefix tree, semi-auto-sync
will fail on that, because additional SRC_URI files need to be
downloaded *manually* to create the Manifest, requiring a login at IBM.

What seems possible for me now is (first is preferred):
*) Put it in prefix tree, but ignore it in auto-sync.
*) Keep it in my private overlay until we are in main tree.
*) Create a new package in prefix only, being a quite identical copy
from ibm-jdk-bin.

Thoughts? Do you have a mechanism to exclude a package from auto-sync,
even when it exists upstream?

Thanks!

/haubi/
--