From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:02:51
On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 11:44 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 07:50 +0100, Markus Duft wrote: > > On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 00:30 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote: > > > > Any other thoughts? > > > however i talked to haubi a while back about keywords. he for sure has > > some more wise words to say :) > > LOL! > But indeed, my brain cooks an idea for some time now - time to serve > (thank you for the trigger!):
:)

[snip]
> Now I want to tell PM which ebuild-keywords to use for my > distro-instance, where only 1. and 2. really would make sense (sample > for non-Prefix): > 1. 'amd64 hppa ~x86' > 2. 'amd64 hppa ~mips ~ppc ~x86' > 3. 'amd64 hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' > 4. '~amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc ~x86' > 5. 'amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc x86' > > This could be done by telling PM how to merge KEYWORDS and > HAUBIDIST_KEYWORDS in etc/make.conf or profile/make.conf, like: > 1. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST' > 2. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~GENTOO' > 3. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST GENTOO' > 4. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='~HAUBIDIST GENTOO' > 5. ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='GENTOO ~HAUBIDIST' > where 'HAUBIDIST' maps to 'HAUBIDIST_KEYWORDS' and 'GENTOO' maps to > 'KEYWORDS'. > > This eventually also could apply for Gentoo Hardened, to not have that > large list in package.mask, but HARDENED_KEYWORDS in the ebuilds, and > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HARDENED ~GENTOO' in make.conf. > > Because both KEYWORDS and HARDENED_KEYWORDS would be in upstream ebuild, > this also could work for HAUBIDIST in make.conf: > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~HARDENED' > > For Prefix: > > We could have PREFIX_KEYWORDS in the maintree-ebuild, and for HAUBIDIST > - when it is a Prefix distro - to have in make.conf: > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HAUBIDIST ~PREFIX' > > For the vanilla "Gentoo Prefix Distribution", this would mean to have: > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='PREFIX' > the vanilla "Gentoo Linux Distribution" would ship with: > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='GENTOO' > and the vanilla "Gentoo Hardened Linux Distribution" with: > ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS='HARDENED' > > What else would be needed for the whole topic: > * helpers to manage/merge/update my private distro-tree. > * helpers to set up my private distro-mirror. > * repoman support for additional keyword variables > * ...
this whole proposal would fix multiple problems: 1) main and prefix keywords are different, but thats ok if prefix keywords are PREFIX_KEYWORDS - we could do our own thing here. 2) it would solve the problem "how does portage know which packages can i merge in a prefixed environment" - no need to trigger based on inherit, EAPI - or something worse :) 3) it would ease porting to prefix: simply allow merging main ebeuilds in prefix by adding GENTOO to the ACCEPT_DISTRO_KEYWORDS. 4) it would make gentoo a "real" meta distro as haubi said, since gentoo's (linux or prefix) "consumers" can do their own thing with keywords completely different from ours. it would be no problem to use - for example - keywords like "mduft" and "haubi" (lol), as long as they are (fex) SALOMON_KEYWORDS. what about forwarding this thread to portage-dev@? Cheers, Markus