From: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alt <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Forward-port of ld64 PPC support
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 17:25:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd just quickly like to point anyone interested to
4 https://github.com/michaelweiser/ld64 where I've done some work to
5 forward-port the removed PPC support in ld64 to the latest versions.
6
7 I imagine it might provide a way to retain support for older OS Xes on
8 PPC without having to keep ancient versions of ld64 packages around.
9 Also, because the newer versions support all the switches more current
10 software (like compilers) expect them to have, it might help avoid
11 having to patch other software for the old linker.
12
13 I was trying to get llvm/clang-3.4.2 working on OS X 10.5 PPC in order
14 to then move on to 3.6.0 and libc++ but got stuck on a mis-linking issue
15 with ld64-127.2. The current version doesn't fix that but doesn't seem
16 to work any worse either.
17
18 I have updated ebuilds for binutils-apple-{4.2,5.1,6.1} floating around
19 in case anyone's interested in giving them a go themselves. My iBook is
20 on loan right now so I can't continue to work on it.
21 --
22 Hope it's of use to someone,
23 Michael