From: Peter Abrahamsen <rainhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Prefix keywords in main tree
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:43:00
1 Hi Haubi,
2
3 I'm not sure I've spent enough time thinking about these things to
4 give you very good feedback, but as an enterprise-ish user, I'm pretty
5 excited about the direction you're going.
6
7 Perhaps I've misunderstood your proposal, but I guess I'd prefer a
8 solution for stabilization of packages that doesn't require me to make
9 any alterations to the upstream ebuilds. If I could simply "apply"
10 keywords to package versions from e.g. /etc/portage/package.whatever,
11 that'd be simpler. My work then is just in maintaining an overlay with
12 special packages/package versions required by my systems, and bumping
13 up the stable versions of critical packages, and not with merging
14 ebuild changes.
15
16 If I've misunderstood something, perhaps you could walk me through a
17 possible workflow?
18
19 Cheers,
20 Peter