From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] prefix keywords need to go (?)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:10:12
1 Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 25-03-2009 00:30:18 -0500, Jeremy Olexa wrote:
3 >> So, since we are already in a hugely reactive mode..why don't we just
4 >> get rid of prefix keywords completely? It gets hairy if the arch most
5 >> always needs patches (FreeMiNT/IRIX comes to mind). However, this is one
6 >> reason that we ask for everyone's help in submitting patches upstream.
7 >
8 > - "use <keyword> && bla" will no longer work (question; is it sane? well
9 > we need it in *DEPENDs at the moment for sure)
10
11 Reply to both you and mduft, same point.
12
13 The profile sets ARCH which is put into USE. so "use $ARCH && bla" will
14 still work.
15
16 > - Portage needs to be patched not to look at keywords any more, solar's
17
18 Set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" in the profile, no patching needed.
19
20 > idea involved only having explicit -arch markings for stuff known not
21 > to compile/work
22
23 profile masking would also be equivalent.
24
25 > - I don't like the idea:
26 >> Before anyone says "but, that will be much more likely to break my
27 >> prefix" - I refute that because we are already running on this policy
28 >> with regards to the automatic bumps. For the most part, it is smooth.
29 >> Major packages are masked if someone hasn't tested them yet (eg. gcc & bash)
30 > Thing is here, that if you look at
31 > http://stats.prefix.freens.org/keywords-packages.png, you can clearly
32 > see a "gap" between x86-linux, and ppc-macos (the prefix leader in
33 > keyworded packages). From an historical point of view, I'm almost
34 > sure this gap is largely consisting of broken packages for ppc-macos.
35
36 I'm not convinced. Nearly every package I add, I'm fairly sure would
37 work on macos these days.
38
39 > - Last but not least, this proposal doesn't solve the keyword issue at
40 > all, it just introduces another hurdle; the change of keyword use.
41
42 We already operate in this fashion as pointed out with automatic version
43 bumps. (ie. xfce-4.6 still does not work but it was added to the tree -
44 both missing deps AND QA issues) - Over the last 2 days, I have been
45 reacting to it. Nothing was proactive anyway.
48 > Or did I mis the point?
49
50 Clearer now?
51