From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:45:43
1 Hi Piergiorgio,
2
3 On 04/26/11 18:10, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 > I'm an embedded sw developer already used to gentoo and portage.
6
7 Is your gentoo and portage usage already related to your embedded development?
8
9 > I am wondering whether gentoo prefix could help me in the following: I
10 > would like to use portage to cross compile some base linux packages
11 > plus some board specific applications for a different number of boards
12 > each requiring their own patches and packages, with a huge amount of
13 > code to be shared among them.
14
15 Basically yes, ...
16
17 > I was lookong at crossdev but
18
19 ... however I've not seen anyone trying to make crossdev working in Prefix.
20
21 But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if
22 I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm).
23
24 > the big problem is that I CAN'T get
25 > administrative priviledges on the development machine, in fact each
26 > user at the moment builds the packages in their own home.
27
28 This is one of the reasons Gentoo Prefix was born.
29
30 > To be more precise I wish I could use portage installed in my home
31 > directory and have it use some cross-toolchain (either pre-built or
32 > built through portage) to actually download, patch, configure, build
33 > and install packages to some directory which will eventually be turned
34 > into a target filesystem someway.
35 > I've tried to use crossdev inside prefixed gentoo but failed to have
36 > it working and I'm not sure it's the correct approach anyway.
37
38 The special use case for Prefix here IMO is the combination of
39 ROOT="/somewhere" with EPREFIX="" and non-Prefix profiles/keywords.
40
41 > Have you guys any suggestion about my problem? That would save a lot
42 > of users to keep developing new build systems and re-inventing the
43 > wheel each time! Also they would never come to something as good and
44 > featured as portage.
45
46 For what I can say if I were in your situation:
47
48 First, I'd try crossdev on some (virtualized) vanilla Gentoo Linux
49 system, to see if crossdev /is/ the tool doing what I need, and to
50 see how it works.
51
52 Then I'd try to fix crossdev to work within Gentoo Prefix, trying
53 to get identical output as on the vanilla Gentoo Linux system.
54
55 But I also would expect lots of work, resulting in patches for crossdev,
56 ebuilds/eclasses, as well as (prefix-)portage.
57
58 HTH,
59 /haubi/
60 --