From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 09:45:43
Hi Piergiorgio,

On 04/26/11 18:10, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote:
> Hi, > I'm an embedded sw developer already used to gentoo and portage.
Is your gentoo and portage usage already related to your embedded development?
> I am wondering whether gentoo prefix could help me in the following: I > would like to use portage to cross compile some base linux packages > plus some board specific applications for a different number of boards > each requiring their own patches and packages, with a huge amount of > code to be shared among them.
Basically yes, ...
> I was lookong at crossdev but
... however I've not seen anyone trying to make crossdev working in Prefix. But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm).
> the big problem is that I CAN'T get > administrative priviledges on the development machine, in fact each > user at the moment builds the packages in their own home.
This is one of the reasons Gentoo Prefix was born.
> To be more precise I wish I could use portage installed in my home > directory and have it use some cross-toolchain (either pre-built or > built through portage) to actually download, patch, configure, build > and install packages to some directory which will eventually be turned > into a target filesystem someway. > I've tried to use crossdev inside prefixed gentoo but failed to have > it working and I'm not sure it's the correct approach anyway.
The special use case for Prefix here IMO is the combination of ROOT="/somewhere" with EPREFIX="" and non-Prefix profiles/keywords.
> Have you guys any suggestion about my problem? That would save a lot > of users to keep developing new build systems and re-inventing the > wheel each time! Also they would never come to something as good and > featured as portage.
For what I can say if I were in your situation: First, I'd try crossdev on some (virtualized) vanilla Gentoo Linux system, to see if crossdev /is/ the tool doing what I need, and to see how it works. Then I'd try to fix crossdev to work within Gentoo Prefix, trying to get identical output as on the vanilla Gentoo Linux system. But I also would expect lots of work, resulting in patches for crossdev, ebuilds/eclasses, as well as (prefix-)portage. HTH, /haubi/ -- Michael Haubenwallner Gentoo on a different level